This course pursues the general objective of the Course of Study to provide knowledge and skills regarding the analysis of the economy of local public transport companies. In particular, knowledge will be provided about the operating context, the regulation and the managerial issues typical of this particular sector of the economy in order to improve the economic conditions and the quality of the service offered by the firms that operate in it. The available empirical evidence based on national and international experiences will also be examined. In particular, through the study and analysis of the financial statements of local public transport companies, this course aims to convey the knowledge and skills to identify the elements of physiology and pathology of their functioning to enable a correct reading and interpretation of economic information which are the basis of the corporate decision-making process.
At the end of this course the student must possess knowledge and skills related to the financial statements and the interpretation of economic, financial and equity trends through a structured analysis process. The objective is to contribute to the formation of a professional figure (envisaged in the Course of Study), i.e. acting as a controller, as an internal profile or as an external consultant. To this end the course proposes to transmit the following skills and knowledge.
1. identify the different models of regulation of the public transport service;
2. understand the difficulty of the performance measurement process in local public transport companies;
Skills and abilities:
1. identify elements of physiology and pathology of local public transport companies through financial statements analysis;
2. identify the key indicators to monitor the improvement of the economy of local public transport companies;
Values and attitudes:
1. critically reflect about the tension between the social and the economic performance of the local public transport service.