1. nucleic acid structures; genetic transmission through cell division; DNA duplication; DNA repair processes
2. DNA organization within cell compartments; mitochondrial DNA structure and organization. Eucaryote gene structure and functional organization; eukaryote/prokaryote DNA structure variations. Genetic code structure and its decode. Regulation in gene expression and messenger RNA splicing.
3. Gene mutations, recombination and transposon activities.
4. Mendelian monogenic inheritance, genotype/phenotype correlation, sex chromosome linked genes. Mendel law exceptions, gene linkage, multifactorial inheritance.
5. Chromatin structure and function, gene families and genetic polymorphisms.
6. Mitosis, meiosis and cell cycle.
7. Standard human karyotype. Sex chromosomes and determination of sex features. Genomic and chromosomal mutations. Chromosomal fragile sites. Chromosome banding and molecular cytogenetics.
8. Hemoglobin structures and their alterations.
9. Genomic imprinting, mechanisms of imprinting and its dysregulation. Methylation, acetylation and non-coding RNAs.
10. epigenetics effects. Chromosome X inactivation process and its dysregulation. Epigenetics and human diseases.
11. Principles of pharmacogenomics and pharmacogenetics. Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamics processes.
12. Nutrigenetics and nutrigenomics mechanisms and their relationships with human health.
13. Molecular genetics: technical tools including PCR, nucleic acid hybridization, MLPA, Sanger’s sequencing and high throughput next generation sequencing.